Helpful tips

Being prepared for the transfer process will help the transition go smoothly. The Community College System of New Hampshire (CCSNH) offers associate degrees, while the University System of New Hampshire (USNH) offers some associate degrees and many bachelor's degree options, in addition to master's and doctoral degrees.

Review degree program requirements

It is important to first consult the catalog of the institution in which you are interested for listings of majors, programs and specific degree, certificate and diploma requirements. Every college and university offers its own distinct array of academic options. As a result, it is best to begin with a review of the appropriate college or university catalog. Visit your desired USNH institution's website for more information on degrees offered. 

Investigate transfer options early

If you would like to begin a four-year degree at an CCSNH college and eventually transfer to a USNH institution, review our Colleges & Universities page for information and links to transfer agreement details. Your intended major may determine which general education courses you should take at a CCSNH institution. For example, some majors require specific CCSNH math and English prerequisite courses. Most upper division courses in your major must be taken at your desired University System of New Hampshire school. 

Explore course credit alternatives

You may be able to earn college credit by demonstrating competency through various examination programs, such as CLEP, DANTES, Advanced Placement, and Excelsior exams. Ask your academic advisor about these options.

Consult with an academic advisor

Early on, talk with a CCSNH academic advisor about your interest in transferring your credits to a USNH school to continue your studies. Your counselor can help you select transferable courses and can connect you with an academic advisor at the college or university you are considering. 

For students who wish to transfer to a USNH institution, complete the NH Transfer Application, available on our website.  Please note that the regular transfer application deadline does apply to you.

Plan ahead and save money

Knowing which CCSNH courses you need to take to satisfy your general education and major requirements will make the credit transfer process much smoother. Planning ahead also helps ensure that your tuition dollars are spent only on courses that will be credited toward your degree.